- About IIIT-D
IIIT-Delhi allows highly motivated working professionals to pursue a PhD degree while still employed at the sponsoring organisation. Sponsored candidates can enhance diversity in the PhD program by bringing in college teachers and researchers from companies. Sponsored candidates from companies can also build research linkages with that company.
- This is a full-time PhD program.
- Candidates may be sponsored by a company or by educational institutes.
- For doing these courses the candidate has to be physically present in the campus.
- For research work, the candidate may be placed back in his/her sponsoring organization, if the research work requires his/her presence there.
- Full time sponsored candidates can work up to 10-12 hours a week in teaching/R&D related activities of their sponsoring organization with permission from the Institute.
- Course requirements for sponsored candidates is same as for regular students (i.e. a minimum of 8 courses for a person with BTech as the highest degree, and 4 with a person with MTech as the highest degree)
- If the candidate is stationed at the sponsoring organization, the candidate will be required to meet his/her advisor regularly, and some local program coordinator may be required if the candidate is stationed elsewhere.
- The candidate must fulfill all other full-time PhD program requirements.
- There is a provision for external co-supervisor for PhD - sponsored candidate can have an external co-guide in the sponsoring organization, though the external co-supervisor needs to be approved by IIIT-Delhi.
- For sponsored candidates, a tuition fee of Rs. One Lakh per year will be charged. They will not be entitled to any financial assistance from the Institute, fee waiver, and on-campus placement. The fee may be waived, especially for academic Institutions.
- The application process happens at the same time as for the regular PhD program.
- The application form is common to all PhD applicants.
- Eligibility criteria will be same as for regular candidates.
- The screening criteria may be different keeping in mind the background of such candidates.
- For the screened candidates, the candidates have to qualify the written and programming tests and interview same as the regular candidates.
- A sponsored candidate has to submit a Sponsoring Certificate on proper letter-head stating that for the period of his/her studies in the program, the candidate would be treated as on duty and that he/she will be allowed to take courses at IIIT-Delhi and conduct research.