General Questions about PhD Admission
- What is the reservation policy for PhD admissions at IIIT-Delhi?
5% relaxation in marks obtained in X, XII, BTech, MTech and other degrees will be given to SC/ST candidates during screening, as well as all the PhD entrance exams held on campus. Same relaxation also applies to candidates who are physically handicapped (category PH) or children/war widow of defense personnel killed/disabled in action (category CW). For candidates falling in multiple reservation categories, a maximum of 5% relaxation as specified above will be given.
- Is there a part time PhD program?
IIIT-D PhD program is a full time program; part-time option is currently not available.
- Is there any option to do a part-time sponsored PhD?
- How is full-time sponsored PhD different from part-time PhD?
IIIT-Delhi does not have part-time PhD program - both for regular as well as sponsored candidates. Full-time sponsored PhD candidates have same load as that of regular PhD candidates. They are expected to work full-time on their research problem. However, they may be permitted to work up to 10-12 hours a week in teaching/R&D related activities of their sponsoring organization with permission from the Institute.
For example, full-time regular PhD students spend 10-15 hours a week on Research/Teaching Assistant duties. Similarly, a full time sponsored PhD student from a company may be allowed to do some other work (which is somewhat aligned to his PhD) for about 10 to 12 hours a week in the sponsoring company, and, a full-time sponsored PhD student from a college may be allowed to do about 10-12 hours of teaching work (including all preparation, examination, grading time) in the sponsoring college.
This is different from a part-time PhD program, where a candidate works only part-time on the research problem.
- What do I need to do other than filing up the online form? Do I need to post a print out of the application form? Do I need to post copy of my certificates, marksheets, etc.?
You need to send us only the demand draft towards the application cum processing fee - remember to write your application id and name on the back of the demand draft. You do not need to send us print out of your application form, copies of your marksheets, certificates or anything else.
- How many seats are there for PhD admission this year?
There is no fixed number of seats for PhD program in any year. The number of candidates admitted will depend primarily on the quality of applications.
- Will I be selected for the written test/interview if I meet the eligibility criteria?
No, not necessarily. You can apply only if you meet the eligibility criteria. However, after you apply, the admission committee verifies your application, and performs a screening (usually done by a committee of faculty members). You will be selected for the next step (written or interview, as appropriate) only if you clear the screening.
Screening is done by considering each application in totality, and is a subjective decision made on the basis of marks, education, qualifications, awards, projects, work experiences, research experiences, and other relevant information present in the application.
- I am in my final semester of BTech/BE/MTech/ME. Am I eligible to apply?
Students in their final semester of BTech/BE/MTech/ME are eligible to apply.
- What are the coursework requirements for the PhD program?
Refer to the PG regulations.
- What is the duration of the program? How many courses do I have to take? What are the minimum performance requirements? How to choose a guide/advisor?
Refer to the PhD requirements page.
- How to choose a research area? Can I change my research area later?
You should choose a research area based on your research interest. Please go through the list of research groups and faculty members. Also, after admission, you can change your area anytime during your PhD (as specified in the PG regulations).
Questions Regarding PhD (CSE)
- I do not have a CS/IT degree - but I satisfy the eligibility wrt Maths/GIS/etc. domains. What additional courses do I have to take?
This being a PhD in Computer Science program, such candidates may have to take additional courses in Computer Science as recommended by the PG committee and advisor(s).
- I have a CS/IT background and I want to do PhD in GIS domain. What additional courses do I have to take?
You will have to take some courses on Geoinformatics or Remote Sensing as recommended by the PG committee and advisor(s)..
Questions Regarding PhD (ECE)
- I do not have a ECE/EE degree - but I satisfy the eligibility wrt CS/Maths/Electronics/Physics/Communications/Instrumentation etc. domains. What additional courses do I have to take?
This being a PhD in Electronics and Communication program, such candidates may have to take additional courses in Electronics and Communication as recommended by the PG committee and advisor(s).
- I do not know programming, am I eligible for PhD(ECE) in Embedded stream?
While there is not any programming requirement for admission to PhD(ECE), however, such candidates may have to take additional programming courses as recommended by the PG committee and advisor(s).
- I am an MCA, am I eligible for PhD(ECE) admission?
At this moment we are not accepting applications in PhD(ECE) for candidates with MCA as the last degree.