Faculty Recruitment in US (2012)
IIIT-Delhi, a State University with a mission to become a world class R&D-led Institute in IT and allied areas, will be conducting selections for faculty positions in CS and ECE in April/May, 2012 at multiple locations in USA. Short listed candidates will be invited to meet the selection committee at UCLA/USC, Georgia Tech, and some place around Chicago, in April-May, 2012. Offers to the selected candidates will be made within two weeks after that.
Areas of Interest
IIIT-Delhi is looking for tenure-track faculty to build strong research groups in various areas of CS, ECE, and interdisciplinary areas. Areas of interest include VLSI, Digital Media and Software Engineering. Please see the Downloads sections below for detailed fliers.
Research, Innovation and Development
The Institute has a strong focus on research, innovation, and development to make an impact through published papers, technologies, and deployments. It has already built some strong research groups, and is looking to strengthen them and develop more areas. It has a strong focus on PhD program (it has instituted various policies to attract PhD students and has already recruited 20 scholars in two years). It provides initiation research grant, support for travel for the first few years, support for professional membership, etc. It has implemented the systems of yearly appraisal/feedback and tenure to help faculty members aim high and prevent complacency from setting in.
The Institute also aims to provide excellent education. The BTech(CSE) Program has many innovative concepts like starting with the CS courses, allowing long duration projects, streams to allow limited specializations in CS/ECE as well as interdisciplinary areas, etc. In the MTech program, it has both thesis and non-thesis options, and possibility of specialization in areas like Security, data management, etc. It is starting its ECE programs in 2012.
Compensation and Quality of Life
The institute provides a decent compensation (appx Rs 1 Lacs/month total for a starting Asst. Prof.), and allows a faculty member to supplement it through research grants, summer sabbaticals in R&D labs/companies, consultancy, etc. It will soon have a modern campus at Okhla, with a Metro station within ½ km, where it will have modern, good quality, and spacious accommodation for faculty. Delhi is widely regarded as one of the best cities in India for living, with excellent air and train connectivity.
The desired profile is: BTech/BE from a good Institute, PhD from a top Institution in India or abroad, good research and publication track record, and a solid future potential. Applicants will be requested for a research statement, a teaching statement, and may be requested for transcripts, and copies of some of the papers. Each candidate is expected to give a technical seminar to IIIT-Delhi faculty over electronic media.
For applying: April 15, 2012
E-seminars: February- April, 2012
Interaction with Selection Committee: Dates to be decided, April-May, 2012
- Georgia Tech: Mon, April 23, GTISC Conference Room, 10am-11:30: Presentation on IIITD to candidates; 1-4 pm: Selection Committee interactions (directions are available here; for any assistance contact: Alfreda W. Barrow, email@example.com, (404) 385-6362)
- UCLA: Wed, May 2. 10am-11:30: Presentation on IIITD to candidates, Rm 57-124 ENGR IV; 2-4 pm: Selection Committee interactions, Rm 53-135 ENGR IV
Decisions to be communicated within two weeks.
- From the applications received, candidates are short-listed for further evaluation. The main criteria for short listing: the candidate should have a strong education background, PhD from a reputed Institute in India or abroad, and a good research record.
- The following information is obtained from the short listed candidates:
- (1) latest CV
- (2) names of three references (who are then requested to send letters)
- (3) a short research statement describing the type of research the candidate wants to pursue in the coming years.
- (4) a teaching statement listing some core and some advanced courses the candidate would like to teach.
- (5) if needed, we request pdf of a few of the best papers already published.
- The candidate is invited to give a technical seminar to the faculty through electronic media (e.g. over teleconferencing, with ppts controlled locally).
- Suggested structure of the seminar (appx 40 mts): Give a brief overview of your background, the problem area and its relevance, and overall contributions. Then describe one work in detail. Finally, end with future work you want to pursue.
- Based on the seminar, a further short listing is done. The short listed candidates are invited to interact with the selection committee, which is a committee of experts. Generally, this interaction starts with a short presentation/opening statement by the candidate on his/her achievements so far and future plans (about 5-10 mts). The committee members ask questions, seek clarifications/views, etc..
- The selection committee makes the final recommendations. After the recommendations are accepted, the offer letter is issued. The candidate is generally informed within two weeks of the selection committee interaction, if he/she is selected.
For applying, send an email with your CV containing a research statement, a teaching statement indicating the core and advanced courses of interest, and names of at least three referees to the following email addresses:
- For CS, email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to Prof Pankaj Jalote, Director, at email@example.com. Subject of the email should be "Faculty position in CS in IIIT Delhi"
- For ECE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to Prof Sumit Roy, External Consulting Chairman of ECE at email@example.com and Prof. Pankaj Jalote, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject of the email should be "Faculty position in ECE in IIIT Delhi".
- For VLSI, email to email@example.com and cc to firstname.lastname@example.org, Director, IIIT Delhi, email@example.com, External Consulting Chairman for ECE, and the mentors for VLSI firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com. Please put the subject as “Faculty position in VLSI at IIIT-Delhi”.
- For Digital Media, email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to email@example.com, Director, IIIT Delhi, and the mentors: firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com. Please put the subject as “Faculty position in Digital Media at IIIT-Delhi”.
- Invited candidates will be reimbursed for their travel (and related expenses) to meet the selection committee based on receipts (max: $500).
- Candidates who are offered a position and who are keen to join will be invited to visit the Institute (a support up to Rs 60,000 will be provided.)
- Download Flier for CS Positions
- Download Flier for ECE Positions
- Download Flier for VLSI Positions
- Download Flier for Digital Media Positions
- Sabbatical Opportunities at IIIT-Delhi
- Why IIIT-Delhi?