PhD Admission 2011
PhD admission for 2011 is now over
The goal of the PhD program at IIIT-Delhi is to empower students to become part of the global research ecosystem, and contribute to research organizations and top class universities across the world. The program is based on the best practice models at top universities across the world. For details about the program, refer to this document. Some key features are listed below.
- Currently, IIIT-Delhi has only full-time PhD program in Computer Science.
- Fresh B.Tech. graduates with research aptitude are strongly encouraged to apply.
- GATE score is optional. IIIT-Delhi will conduct a written exam, a programming exam and interview in its campus on April 23rd (details).
- IIIT-Delhi provides attractive stipend to full-time regular PhD students. The stipend in first year is Rs 20,000 per month; 2nd to 4th year it can go up to Rs 25,000 per month, based on performance. Furthermore, the tuition fee of Rs. 1 Lakh per year is waived for (full time) PhD students with teaching, research or lab assistantship (details).
- Other than the regular program, IIIT-Delhi has started a focused collaborative PhD program with selected partner groups/institutes across the world (see below) and a sponsored full-time PhD program for people working in industry (details).
- IIIT-Delhi provides relaxation to SC/ST, PH and CW category candidates (details).
Areas: IIIT-Delhi invites applications for admission in PhD (Computer Science) for 2011 in the following CS/IT research areas:
- Emerging Architecture and Systems Design
- Image Analysis and Biometrics
- Information Management and Data Analytics
- Mobile and Ubiquitous computing
- Security and Privacy
- Software Engineering
- Theoretical Computer Science
- Geoinformatics: IIIT-Delhi is also looking for outstanding, highly motivated and very selective PhD students in the domain of Geoinformatics to develop cutting-edge Information Technology theory and practice methodologies.
- Application form is closed
available here. Last date of application - April 4th, 2011, 5:00pm (Monday)
- Screening results of shortlisted candidates - Latest by April 7th, 2011
- Uploading the list of research papers for students - April 7th, 2011
- Test / Interview (at IIIT-Delhi campus) - Saturday, April 23rd, 2011
Eligibility: IIIT-Delhi is looking for candidates who have solid foundations in CS/Maths, good programming expertise, and interest in pursuing research in one of the above mentioned areas. Eligibility criteria for applying:
- First Division through out class X, XII and professional degrees is highly desirable.
- Preference will be given to the candidates who have graduated within the last two years.
- Gate score is optional.
- Additional requirements based on the area/domain are given below.
Elibilibity criteria for students applying in the CS/IT areas: The student must meet one of the following.
- BTech / BE / MTech / MS / ME in CS / IT / ECE / EE
- CGPA at least 7.5 on a scale of 10 (or equivalent) in IITs/NITs, or in the top 10% in his/her CS/IT/ECE/EE batch from other institutions. If your institute does not provide CGPA in the transcript, then at least 70% marks is required to be eligible.
- MCA/MSc(CS/IT/ECE) degree is considered equivalent to the BTech/BE degree. Such students are also eligible to apply with the condition that in their undergraduate (i.e. B.Sc.) they should have Mathematics as one of the courses and keen interest/capability/commitment in pursuing research. The marks requirement is same as that given above for BTech/BE degrees.
- MSc in Mathematics:
- At least 70% marks in both B.Sc and M.Sc.
- Strong inclination towards CS.
- Atleast two CS courses (such as Programming, Data Structures, Algorithms, Theory of Computation, Discrete Maths etc.) in BSc/MSc.
Elibilibity criteria for students applying in the GIS domain: The student must meet one of the following.
- Students with background in technical degree (B.E./B.Tech./M.E./M.Tech. in CS/IT/EE/ECE) as specified above.
- B.Sc. (in any science-subject) with minimum 70% marks, and, M.Sc degree with minimum 70% marks in Geology, Geophysics, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Life Sciences, Physics, Mathematics, Information Technology or Geoinformatics.
- M.Tech. in Geoscience or Geoinformatics with minimum 7.5 CGPA on a scale of 10 (or equivalent).
Requirements may be relaxed for exceptional candidates with publications/ R&D/software development experience in their area of interest.
Collaborative PhD Program: A student in the collaborative PhD program has an opportunity to collaborate with renowned universities and labs across the world, and may be required to spend some time at the partner group/institution for research purpose. More details about the program are given here. This year the collaborative program focuses on the following areas:
- Image Analysis and Biometrics
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing
- Security and Privacy
- Information Management and Analytics
- The current list of the partners for this year's collaborators are given in this document.
Details about the exam procedure is given here.
Contact: For general queries, please refer to the frequently asked questions. Please do not email us with your resume/C.V - application will be entirely online only through this website. For other information, you may contact us through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please check this page for future announcements and more information.