M.Tech.(CSE) with specialization in Mobile Computing
Mobile phones have emerged as truly pervasive and affordable Information and Communication Technology (ICT) platform in the last decade. Large penetration of cellular networks and availability of advanced hardware platforms have inspired multiple opportunities in the domain of mobile computing. In the mobile computing and networking MTech program, we will cover both theory and practice required to design and build applications for mobile-based services. The program will focus on developing hands-on skills pertaining to the latest and most popular platforms, e.g. Symbian, Android, Maemo, Windows Mobile, etc. Students will gain knowledge in wireless technologies, such as Bluetooth, WiFi, GPRS, EDGE, 3G, LTE, 4G, etc. They will be trained not only to use existing mobile platforms but also to build new ones. Projects will be an integral part of all the courses. Advanced courses in other allied domains such as information security and biometrics will help prepare students for some of the future areas in mobile computing for e.g. possible security attacks and defence mechanism in the mobile domain.
- In addition to the core course requirements for the M.Tech. program, to obtain specialization in Mobile Computing a student must:
- Complete at least 16 credits of courses in the overall area of Mobile Computing.
- Do his/her thesis or Scholarly paper credits in Data Engineering. The advisor will certify this fact.
- If a course appears in multiple requirements (e.g., in the list of core courses and also in the list of specialization courses for MC), it can be taken to satisfy both the requirements. However, it will be counted only once with respect to the overall credit requirements.
Data Engineering Courses
The program offers several elective courses, focusing on different aspects of mobile computing. A student can choose to do any set of courses from these to satisfy his/ her specialization requirement of 16 credits. Some of the important courses that a student can expect to do during this program are given below.
- Distributed Systems Security (CSE530)
- Mobile Computing (CSE535)
- Embedded Systems (CSE537)
- Ad Hoc Wireless Networks (CSE538)
- Cellular Data Networks (CSE539)
- Network Security (CSE550)
- Smart Sensing for Internet of Things (CSE576)
- Programming Cloud Services for Mobile Applications (CSE635)
- Mobile and Cellular Network Security (CSE647)
- Advanced Topics in Mobile Computing (CSE734)
- Introduction to Spatial Computing
Some other courses that could be offered are listed below.
- Middleware and Web Services
- Designing and implementing basic wireless communication systems
We have young and dynamic faculty at IIIT-Delhi. A student can take elective courses offered by faculty members in different areas - the focus areas. Most of the courses in Data Engineering will be taught by the following faculty members. In addition, there are plans to have some modules taught by experts from industry.
While internships during summer is not a requirement for the M.Tech. degree, students are encouraged to do an internship to gain industry experience. To facilitate internships, the institute has made arrangements with some corporations to host interns from this program.