- About IIIT-D
M.Tech.(CSE) with specialization in Information Security
The technological growth, the Internet, and availability and sharing of information have tremendously increased information threats to organizations and individuals making it a challenge for users and system administrators to preserve security. Due to the requirement of sophisticated knowledge and tools to keep systems secure, there is a big need in India and around the world for information security professionals who are well educated about the various aspects of information security. The main objective of this program is to train students to become information security professionals for the high-end jobs in security in the industry.
- In addition to the core course requirements for the M.Tech. program, to obtain specialization in Information Security a student must:
- Complete at least 16 units of courses in the overall area of Information Security.
- Do his/her thesis units in Information Security. The advisor will certify this fact.
- If a course appears in multiple requirements (e.g., in the list of core courses and also in the list of specialization courses for IS), it can be taken to satisfy both the requirements. However, it will be counted only once with respect to the overall credit requirements.
The program offers several elective courses, focusing on different aspects of security. A student can choose to do any set of courses from these to satisfy his/her specialization requirement of 16 credits. Some of the important courses that a student can expect to do during this program are given below.
- Secure Coding (CSE500)
- Distributed Systems Security (CSE530)
- Foundations to Computer Security (CSE545)
- Applied Cryptography (CSE546)
- Digital and Cyber Forensics (CSE645)
- Mobile and Cellular Network Security (CSE647)
Some other courses that could be offered are listed below.
- Network Security: This course provides an in-depth study of network attack techniques and methods to defend against them.
- Human Aspects of Information Security : This course will motivate the necessity for more work in the area of usable privacy and security.
- Database Security and Privacy: This course will focus on how to keep data (residing in databases or otherwise) secure and also how to preserve the privacy of such data.
- Managing Information Security : This course will address questions like: Who are the stakeholders in the information security landscape? Who has the incentive to solve the information security problems?
- Information Security in Practice: Industry leaders will teach this course; this course will cover topics from telecommunication industry and financial/banking industry.
We have young and dynamic faculty at IIIT-Delhi. A student can take elective courses offered by faculty members in different areas - the focus areas. Most of the courses in security will be taught by faculty members of the Security and Privacy Group. In addition, there are plans to have some modules taught by experts from industry.
While internships during summer is not a requirement for the M.Tech. degree, students are encouraged to do an internship to gain industry experience. To facilitate internships, the institute has made arrangements with some corporations to host interns from this program. Arrangements have been made with Infosys, Wipro, Microsoft, HDFC; many more are expected to be added to this list soon.
The institute has also designed a "Week-With-CSO" program to expose some of the students to real life handling of security in a corporation. After a rigorous selection process, students will be selected to spend a stipulated amount of time (ranging from 2 - 5 days) with the security officer's team in organizations in India. The hope is to expose students to real world hands-on experience and give a glimpse of the professional life that the students my lead in future. It is expected that only a few students will be able to avail of this opportunity, as slots are limited. Several organizations are already onboard for this.