- About IIIT-D
MTech. (ECE) Requirements
- MTech(ECE) may be done with a thesis, or without a thesis but with a scholarly paper. In both options, students have to do certain amount of course work. In addition, students doing MTech with thesis will have to do a thesis. Students in without thesis option have to do additional courses, and instead of a thesis will have to do a scholarly paper.
- The overall requirements are as follows
- MTech with thesis: 32 credits of course work + 16 credits of thesis. At most 4 credits may be earned by doing 300 and 400 level courses.
- MTech without thesis: 40 credits of course work + 8 credits for a scholarly paper. The scholarly paper may be a suitable project with a report on it. At most 8 credits may be earned through doing 300 and 400 level courses.
- For the thesis or the scholarly paper credits, though the student has to register, he/she need not be physically present and can do the work while being outside the Institute.
- A student admitted to the MTech program will give his/her choice regarding whether he/she wants to pursue the thesis or without thesis option. However, this choice can be changed at any time during the program by suitably informing the PG Committee.
- Each MTech (ECE) student has to satisfy the Core Requirement by doing at least 12 credits from courses in the core buckets, and doing courses from at least three of the core buckets (e.g. by doing one course each from three of the buckets). Current core buckets and courses in them are given below – additional courses and buckets may be added later by consent of the faculty:
- Theory: Topics in Mathematics, Stochastic Processes
- Communication Engineering: Digital Signal Processing, Communication Networks
- Electronics: Introduction to VLSI, Basic Analog Design
- Computer Systems: Operating Systems, Computer Architectures
- All other courses are electives. In electives, at most 4 credits of “Independent Study” and 4 credits of “Minor Project” can be taken.
Requirements for Specialization
- For MTech in ECE with specialization in <specialization area> from among the areas in which specializations are offered by the Institute (currently “VLSI & Embedded Systems”), the student must:
- Complete at least 20 credits of courses in the chosen specialization area.
- Do his/her thesis/scholarly paper in that specialization area. The advisor will certify this fact.
- If a course is in the list of courses for a specialization, as well as in one of the core buckets, that course can be counted towards satisfying both the Core Requirement and the specialization requirements. However, the overall credit requirements remain unchanged.
- The lists of courses for each specialization are specified separately.
- If a student completes all requirements for the MTech, but not the requirements for specialization, he/she will be eligible for “MTech in Electronics & Communication Engineering”.