Recruitment in US for Tenure Track Faculty Positions (CSE/ECE/Interdisciplinary)
IIIT-Delhi, a State University with a mission to become a world class R&D-led Institute in IT and allied areas, will be conducting selections for tenure-track faculty positions in CSE, ECE, and Interdisciplinary areas in May, 2013 in Univ. of Maryland & UC Berkeley.
Note: This recuritment is postponed to a later date.
Areas of Interest
Research, Innovation and Development
The Institute has a strong focus on research, innovation, and development to make an impact through published papers, technologies, and deployments. It has already built some strong research groups, and is looking to strengthen them and develop more areas. It has a strong focus on PhD program (it has instituted various policies to attract PhD students and has already recruited 40 scholars). It provides initiation research grant, support for travel for the first few years, support for professional membership, etc. It has implemented the systems of yearly appraisal/feedback and tenure to help faculty members aim high and prevent complacency from setting in.
The Institute also aims to provide excellent education. The BTech(CSE) and BTech(ECE) Programs have many innovative concepts like starting with the CS and Electronics courses, allowing long duration projects, streams to allow limited specializations in CS/ECE as well as interdisciplinary areas, etc. In the MTech program, it has both thesis and non-thesis options, and possibility of specialization in areas like Security, data management, etc.
Compensation and Quality of Life
The institute provides a decent compensation (over Rs 1 Lacs/month total for a starting Asst. Prof.), and allows a faculty member to supplement it through research grants, summer sabbaticals in R&D labs/companies, consultancy, etc. It has a modern campus at Okhla, with a Metro station within ½ km, where it has modern, good quality, and spacious accommodation for faculty. Delhi is widely regarded as one of the best cities in India for living, with excellent air and train connectivity.
The desired profile is: BTech/BE from a good Institute, PhD from a top Institution in India or abroad, good research and publication track record, and a solid future potential. Besides the CV and list of at least three refrees, applicants will be requested for a research statement, a teaching statement, and may be requested for transcripts, and copies of some of the papers. Each candidate is expected to give a technical seminar to IIIT-Delhi faculty over electronic media.
For applying: Anytime
E-seminars: On need
Interaction with Selection Committee: Dates to be decided; held regularly
Decisions to be communicated within two weeks.
- From the applications received, candidates are short-listed based on strong education background, research record, and suitablility for the Institute.
- The following information is obtained from the short listed candidates:
- (1) latest CV
- (2) names of three references (who are then requested to send letters)
- (3) a short research statement describing the type of research the candidate wants to pursue in the coming years.
- (4) a teaching statement listing some core and some advanced courses the candidate would like to teach.
- (5) if needed, we request pdf of a few of the best papers already published.
- The candidate is invited to give a technical seminar to the faculty through electronic media. Suggested structure of the seminar (appx 40 mts): Give a brief overview of your background, the problem area and its relevance, and overall contributions. Then describe one work in detail. Finally, end with future work you want to pursue.
- Based on the seminar, a further short listing is done. The short listed candidates will be invited to UMd/Bay Area to interact with the selection committee, which is a committee of experts. Generally, this interaction starts with a short presentation/opening statement by the candidate on his/her achievements so far and future plans (about 5-10 mts), followed by interaction with the committee.
- The selection committee makes its recommendations. After the recommendations are accepted, the offer letter is issued. The candidate is generally informed within two weeks of the selection committee interaction, if he/she is selected.
For applying, send an email with your CV containing at least three references, a research statement and a teaching statement to the following email addresses:
- For ECE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to Prof Sumit Roy, External Chairman of ECE at email@example.com. Subject of the email should be "Faculty position in ECE in IIIT-Delhi".
- For CS and all interdisciplinary areas, email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject of the email should be "Faculty position in CS/Area in IIIT-Delhi".
- Invited candidates will be reimbursed for their travel (and related expenses) to meet the selection committee based on receipts (max: $500).
- Candidates who are offered a position and who are keen to join may be invited to visit the Institute.